Nantucket Unitarian Universalists are committed to promoting peace and justice in our community and in the world
Our current project is The 7th Principle Project. The UU 7th Principle is “Respect for the Interdependent Web of which we are a Part.” Our mission in connection with The 7th Principle Project is: We are committed to sustainability and environmental justice, including partnering with the most vulnerable among us, in response to the challenge that our Earth and its people are facing.
Ongoing Projects since 2014:
- A community garden plot with 80% of the produce going to the Food Pantry
- Clothing drives for Food Pantry clients
- Voter Registration
Projects begun in 2016:
Partnering with island immigrants on issues such as licenses for all Massachusetts residents and support of the Diversity Committee. Also partnering with other MA faith communities in support of Syrian Refugee families.
- Food Rescue Project: Includes working with local restaurants, grocery stores and realtors to rescue unused food for the Food Pantry. Read the recent article published in the Inquirer & Mirror: Unitarian Church Starts Food Rescue Program For Those In Need.
- Year Round Bus Initiative Support
- Developing strategies to help us discern personal and congregational energy use and awareness
- Movie/potluck nights to stir interest and bring more issues to the fore
Projects Begun in 2017:
- Formation of the Immigration Task Force in response to changing immigration policies and the development of an Immigration Resource Center that meets at the UU Meeting House once a month
- Redesign of the community garden offering 80% of the plots to recent immigrants to grow their own food
- Commitment to becoming better neighbors and friends as one island people as we participate in potlucks, dances and community events together
- Indivisible Nantucket group started on island that meets at the UU Meeting House once a month. For more information visit http://indivisiblenantucket.org
Please join us as we combine our voices, skills, resources, and energy in pronouncing we are all one and together we can make a difference!
FOR MORE INFORMATION CONTACT GARY LANGLEY: firstname.lastname@example.org or PAUL STEWART email@example.com
7th Principle Project: https://www.unitarianchurchnantucket.org/community/7th-principle-project